RB Kids Covid-19(Pandemic) Parent Policies & Procedures
Prevention of Covid-19 Protocol
We take the concerns regarding Covid-19 very seriously at RB Childcare. The health and safety of our children, families, and staff is our highest priority. Even though we already have very thorough cleaning procedures, as a precaution, we will be increasing the frequency of our sanitizing procedures, as well as taking a few extra precautionary steps. We will follow the guidelines and protocols as provided to us by the Ministry of Health, BCCDC, and Fraser Health.
In addition to the RB Kids Parent Policies and Procedures, which can be found at www.rbkids.ca, the following policies and procedures are effective immediately and will be in place throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. These policies and procedures may change at any time due to the current Covid-19 situation.
Covid-19 Specific Health & Illness
• Parents and caregivers must assess their child daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, Covid-19, or other infectious respiratory diseases before sending them to childcare. Childcare staff will ask you questions regarding your child’s health each day.
• Children with the following symptoms of Covid-19 should stay home for 10-14 days or receive a negative Covid-19 test. Fever, cough, chills, loss of sense of smell or taste, or difficulty breathing.
• Children with only one of the following symptoms of Covid-19 may return to childcare after symptoms subside and have been in good health for 48 hours with no other symptoms. Sore throat, loss of appetite, headache, body aches, extreme fatigue or tiredness, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
• Children who develop two or more symptoms of Covid-19 should stay home for 10-14 days or receive a negative Covid-19 test. Sore throat, loss of appetite, headache, body aches, extreme fatigue or tiredness, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
• In the event of a negative Covid-19 test, children may return to the facility once symptoms have improved, even if it is less than 10 days. Children must be in good health for 48 hours before returning and be able to participate in all aspects of the program. 48 hours begins after the last bout of their symptom (vomiting, diarrhea, etc.)
• Children, parents, and household members must not enter the childcare if they have symptoms of Covid-19 or have traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days or have been identified by public health as a close contact of a person with a confirmed case of Covid-19.
• If anyone in your household has been required to self-isolate for 10 days-14 days, your child must remain away from the childcare until the isolation period has past and they are symptom-free.
• Please notify the Director of the childcare if your child or anyone in the child’s immediate household tests positive for Covid-19.
If your child becomes ill while at childcare, we will take the following steps:
• Identify one staff member to stay with your child until you arrive.
• The staff member will move your child into a supervised area away from others until they can go home.
• We will contact the child’s parent or caregiver to pick them up right away.
Rigorous handwashing with plain soap and water is the single most effective way to reduce the spread of illness. Children and staff can pick up germs easily from anything they touch and can spread those germs to objects, surfaces, food, and people. Everyone should practice diligent hand hygiene. Parents and staff can teach and reinforce these practices amongst children.
In addition to our hand washing policy in place - Children will be asked to wash their hands according to the B.C Centre Disease Control recommendations:
• Before children leave their home
• Upon arrival at childcare
• Before eating and drinking
• Before and after outdoor play
• After sneezing, coughing, or blowing their nose
• Whenever they are entering a new activity
We will be encouraging physical distancing where possible within the childcare setting:
• Avoid close greetings (e.g., hugs, handshakes). Regularly remind children to keep “Hands to yourself”.
• Strive to minimize the number of different staff that interact with the same children throughout the day.
• Organize children into smaller groups and/or spread children out to minimize direct physical contact. We will use different room configurations (e.g., separating tables and shelves).
• Incorporate more individual activities or activities that encourage more space between children and staff.
• We will make modifications to the classrooms to assist with physical distancing.
Childcare Ratio and Hours of Operation
Childcare ratios are required during operation regardless of a pandemic. Unforeseen circumstances could have an impact on both the ratios and operating hours. In the event that some employees are unable to come into work or are in quarantine, any or all the following could happen:
• The centre may be closed for a period of time. This would be determined by input from the health authority, the RB Childcare Director, and Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers.
• Ratios may be lowered to meet expectations from the health authority, or because there is not enough staff available to maintain licensing requirements.
• Hours and days of operation may be adjusted to ensure that the programs can meet all licensing expectations.
• If ratios are lowered, RB Childcare will follow the guidelines set out by the Provincial Government and Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers regarding priority placement of children in the available spaces.
Drop-off and Pick up
• Allow more time when arriving, as additional health and safety procedures upon arrival will take a little longer.
• Staff will be conducting daily health checks at drop-off by asking parents to confirm that their child does not have symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, gastrointestinal, or other respiratory diseases.
• Staff will sign your child in and out each day.
• If a parent needs to enter the childcare, they will need to contact the Director or their child’s Program Supervisor prior to entering the centre. Parents will be reminded to practice diligent hand hygiene and maintain physical distance (6ft or 2m) when they are in the centre.
• Anyone entering the childcare is required to wear a mask or face covering.
• Please maintain proper social distance at the entrances until a staff member can bring your child inside/outside.
• IT2 children will meet at the door located through the playground at your scheduled time.
• IT1 children will use the main childcare entrance doors at your scheduled time.
• Pre-K & Jr. Junior Pre-K will meet in the playgrounds at your child’s/ren assigned time.
• The location for drop-off/pick-up may change based on program needs. The Director or Program Supervisors will update you on location by email.
• We will schedule drop-off and pick-up times per family. Drop-off and pick-up times will be communicated via email. Please adhere to your pre-scheduled time, as this will assist with physical distancing.
If you are late for your scheduled time, you will need to call and wait in your car until you receive further directions from staff.
Meals and Food Service
• At this time, we will not be providing a meal program or sharing snacks.
• All food and beverages must be brought from home.
• Please bring a water bottle.
• Please send an icepack in your child’s lunch bag.
• We will provide utensils and dishes. After each use, these utensils and dishes will be cleaned and sanitized.
• Please clearly label all items brought from home.
If your child needs to rest or have nap time while at childcare, they will be placed on cots/mats “head to toe” to reduce possible transmission of illness. (Child, one has their head at the top of their cot. Child two has their head at the bottom of their cot.) This creates additional spacing between children while sleeping.
• Bedding must be provided by parents and laundered once a week or when soiled.
Sunscreen *If required*
To reduce the possible spread of illness, we have decided that we will be providing sunscreen (SPF 30) for all children. Please apply sunscreen before arrival at the childcare. If it is not applied to your child before attending, we will then use the sunscreen provided by RBA Childcare. If reapplication is needed, we will use sunscreen provided by RBA.
• Clearly label personal items with the child’s name to discourage accidental sharing.
• Please provide 2-3 changes of clothes to leave at the centre.
• Only bring personal comfort items (e.g., stuffy, etc.) if they are clean and can be laundered at the end of each day.
Staff Health Policies:
• Staff with symptoms (respiratory illness, gastrointestinal, fever, cough, etc.) must stay home until they receive a negative Covid-19 test and no fever is present, or until 10 days have passed and symptoms have resolved.
• Staff should stay home if they are feeling unwell.
• If a staff who attended childcare, or their family member, is being investigated by public health to confirm whether they have Covid-19, or if public health has confirmed a case of Covid-19, direction will be provided by regional health authority.
• Staff, children, and parents must not enter the childcare if they have symptoms of Covid-19 or have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days or have been identified by public health as a close contact of a person with a confirmed case of Covid-19.
• Staff will also be required to increase handwashing and follow the guidelines set out by the BCCDC, Provincial Health Officer and Fraser Health.
These policies and procedures have been put in place for the health and well-being of all our children, families, and staff. We appreciate your cooperation and compliance during this time.
-Updated February 2021